Thursday, February 20, 2020

February is all about the love

I've always loved Valentine's Day - maybe it's the colors - the stark contrast of red against the pure white snow.

My mind always goes back to one of my happiest memories as a child - a little party my mom set up for my brother and I with a close friend. We probably did the typical things you do at holiday parties - decorate cupcakes, eat cookies, make Valentine's Day cards. Whatever it was...it left a mark on me and left me with a happy, glowing view of Valentine's Day.

With that said, I wanted to be a big part of the student's in our school having happy and fun memories of Valentine's Day. But how was I going to tie this in with the library?

Then it occurred to me - what if we made Valentine's Day cards for our favorite authors or book characters? What a fun way to celebrate our love for reading and the holiday that celebrates love. 

I gathered some paper doilies, foam stickers, pipe cleaners, kid scissors, glue sticks and some crayons and let the kids at it. 



To say that the activity was a success would be an understatement. The students LOVED this activity. I would say that the percentage of students that participated was 98% or more. I was thrilled to see that they were enjoying themselves. 

The best part was the children excitedly sharing who their favorite authors and favorite book characters were. They couldn't wait to show me their Valentine's  - and I couldn't wait to see them! 



After the students completed their Valentine's, they put them in a special Library mailbox. I plan to mail some of the Valentine's to the authors and let them know how much they mean to the kids! 

I made a poster to announce the activity by drawing, coloring and laminating some of the more popular characters in recent children's books and cutting out a huge pink heart. This was a centerpiece in the library for the month of February. 



Another large poster I made for the library was simpler to make and included a large Valentine's Day card and envelope, paper doilies, some specially cut letters from cardstock and some stickers. 


Overall, our February in the library was filled with love, appreciation, happiness and warmth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment